close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Code Enforcement

(City of Emmett residents should file their complaint with the Emmett Police Department. This system is only for residents outside the city limits.)

The County has no jurisdiction within City Limits, so if you wish to report a violation within city boundaries, please contact the Emmett Police Department or Dispatch at 208-365-3521.
County Code Enforcement has no jurisdiction over public roadways, water on the roads, fences, or weeds. Please direct weed complaints to the County Weed Department at (208) 365-4201 or 
Any building violations involving electrical or plumbing are handled through the State Department of Building Safety.
Neighbor disputes over fence lines and boundaries or irrigation uses are civil matters and the County has no jurisdiction to resolve these issues. We suggest that you seek legal counsel.
Any complaints in relation to barking dogs; unwanted cats or dogs; deceased, sick or injured dogs or cats; neglected animals or animal bites should be reported to Sheriff’s Dispatch at 208-365-3521.


Filing a Complaint:
Gem County residents must file a complaint with the Code Enforcement Officer either in writing (complaint form) or On-Line.  Filing On-Line is our recommended action. The complaint must identify the property owner (if known), the location of the property and the suspected ordinance violationOnly issues in violation of an ordinance will be processed by Code Enforcement.

The Code Enforcement Officer will proceed with a routine investigation within 10 business days from receipt of the complaint. He will verify the alleged violation and research information regarding the case. If no violations are found, the complainant is notified and no further action is taken.

Violation Identified:
If a violation is confirmed, the property owner will be notified in person, or by written notice, describing the violation and options available to abate the problem. They will be given a specific time-frame in which to complete the abatement.

Failure to Respond:
The property owner, and/or tenant, will be given a specific time-frame in which to either correct the violation or start the abatement process. If the property owner, and/or tenant, fails to do so within the allotted time-frame, they may be issued a citation or be prosecuted through other legal actions.

What is a Citation?
A uniform citation that is personally served upon the owner, and/or tenant, by the Code Enforcement Officer. Once the citation is issued, the case is immediately turned over to the County Prosecutor’s Office.

As a complainant, am I allowed to receive updates on the violation and clean-up process?
Yes. If you filed the complaint On-Line you may check the status of your complaint anytime. Simply access the account you created. You may contact the Code Enforcement Officer during business hours for an update on the complaint or violation.

How long will the abatement process last?
It depends on the violation and/or the size of the clean-up. Gem County tries to work with its citizens if they are truly making an effort to correct the violation. It can take as little as a couple of weeks or as long as several months. The Code Enforcement Officer will closely monitor the abatement process to ensure the violation is brought into compliance in the allotted time given.

What defines a public nuisance?
The complete description for public nuisance can be found in the Gem County Ordinances (Title 4) at the link below.
Title 4-5, Gem County Code